making reagular2cooking regular2lovingliving regular2new reader3

Thursday, December 12, 2013

The initials tag hat {hm2}



Inspired by fabrickaz’s use of leather on homespun linen coasters (I think her work is stunningly beautiful in all its simplicity, and I intend to be inspired, lift and steal as much of her style and technique that I can! There, I said it, it’s out there).



Anyhow, since I saw her coasters this spring I’ve had this idea of using leather tags with initials on hats, mittens, scarfs, well any kind of knitted goods. Actually, you could use leather tags on just about anything, purses, bracelets, tea cozy’s… I am bursting with ideas right now, and rambling…



In September when I had a little mom-alone-on-vacation-once-in-a-life-time in Barcelona, I found a beautiful old store that sells leather and leather tools. I bought leather scraps by weight in different colours and one set of leather alphabet stamps.



I have been itching to try them, and now that I have a stash of knitted hats, I can’t wait any longer. This is my first attempt, and honestly, I was not that happy with how the leather tag turned out. I had thought the stamp on the leather would be more pronounced, that it would leave more texture if you know what I mean.

I did some googling and youtubing, and found out that I hadn’t cased the leather, which means that you have to moisten the leather with water before you work with it. Next time I’ll show you what happens when you case the leather first.



Do yu want to make your own leather tag? Here is a tutorial

16 comments:

  1. Så tøft, virkelig unikt! Takk for at du deler oppskrift! Men hvilken størrelse blir lua ca?

    Kos deg videre i adventstiden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 48 cm i diameter, tipper det tilsvarer s/m i damestørrelse :-)

      Delete
  2. I like the leather and the fact that you found your tools while on your mom-alone vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nydelig med lærdetalj! Ooooo! Og i tillegg med bokstaver, skikkelig fint! Jeg følger med på neste visning og !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...AM it looks amazing. Very clever idea indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! How's your computer doing..? ;-)

      Delete
    2. I just noticed I hadn't replied. Sorry! My old computer is dead dead dead so I bought a new MacBook Air. I must get my blogging up to speed - lost some photos but taken lots more since and I need to start posting! I will try to do better ;-)

      Delete
  5. Ooooh!! Qué bonito!! Me gustan mucho las cosas sencillas con detalles que te roban el corazón, la etiqueta de piel queda genial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que comentario tan poetico ("cosas sencillas con detalles que te roban el corazon"), muchas gracias!

      Delete
  6. OhMyGosh! I LOVE that touch of leather -- it's gorgeous and perfect. Must. Steal. Idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precioso gorro y preciosa etiqueta! me encanta!!! Me podrias indicar la tienda de barcelona??? Y muchisimas gracias por el tuto!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claro que te la puedo indicar. Envia me tu correo elecronico y te envio el Google map que tengo con la tienda (...mientras tanto voy a ver donde lo tengo)

      Delete
  8. Pues a mi me encanta como ha quedado.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for letting me know you were here!